Monday, December 7, 2009

Conference Call Follow-Up

I left a voice message with Temple's case worker this morning, inquiring as to how the conference call went from Temple's perspective.

I had a great conversation with her, and we learned something interesting...

The case worker told me that after receiving my voice message this morning, she called Temple to get her feedback on the conference call. The case worker said Temple felt it went very well. Sandra then asked if Temple still wished to place with us, after hearing our voices and speaking to us, and Temple said yes.

Sandra and I got to chatting, and I mentioned that I thought it was interesting that Temple asked the ages of our children over the phone and then proceeded to say, "Wow, that's a big family," when she heard me rattle off their ages. I wondered how she could be that surprised about our family size after viewing our life book (aka: profile) which is chock-full of photos of the kids. Sandra proceeded to tell me this interesting story...

When it came time to show Temple various families' life books, Sandra apparently couldn't find the copy of ours! So she asked Temple if she would be interested in a family who had "several children." Temple said yes, that would be fine. Then Sandra asked her if she would be okay with a Caucasian family, and Temple said yes, that would be fine too, "just as long as they take good care of my baby." So then Sandra asked Temple if it would be okay with her to go with the family who had been waiting with Open Door the longest! (Why am I not surprised at this point that that was us? ;) To that, Temple said yes! Bless her heart.

So, she has not even seen photos of us!!!! We went into the conference call, thinking she knew who we were from the photos and the story we had so carefully put together in our life book. But that's not the case! If we would have known all this when we were on the phone with her, we would have gone over in a little more detail who we are and what our family "looks" like in terms of ages and personalities, etc. It's somehow a little unnerving to consider that she's never even seen a photo of us. I hope she doesn't change her mind when she sees a couple 40-something parents!

Meanwhile, Sandra is working on getting a copy of our life book sent down from the Open Door offices. And I told her I'd email Sandra a few updated photos of our family as well. So she'll see us soon enough. Hope she likes us... This feels a little backwards.

But I'm getting very good vibes from Sandra that Temple is very certain. And Sandra did also say that her request to have us there at the hospital probably "seals the deal" (her words) for Temple emotionally a little more too. Sandra also said that Temple's mother is very supportive of the adoption plan as well, so that's also good.

So, it looks like it may be time to start getting out the baby girl clothes!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Except she won't see anyone who resembles 40-something parents in your family!!! :) (We "mature" moms gotta stick together, you know...)

    ReplyDelete